The Berryfield Mosaic
At the heart of the Firstsite building is the Berryfield Mosaic, a Roman artefact unearthed in 1923 at the site on which the building now stands.
Dating from around AD200 the mosaic originally formed part of the dining room floor of a wealthy Roman townhouse. Its design consists of a central rose motif surrounded by four panels depicting sea monsters chasing dolphins.
The Mosaic is displayed horizontally in a case embedded into the floor of the building as Firstsite’s only permanent exhibit, providing a glimpse of the history buried under the building.